UC first Big 12 football game edition (Week of 9/23/2023)

 

Hello everyone, welcome back to another countdown post. So it looks like I'm the only one making posts right now. Zestpond quit, Hallett's blog mysteriously got deactivated, and Waffle still hasn't gotten his catch up post out. So if you are reading this, I'm highly encouraging you to start a blog and review the countdown yourself if you are able to, it's really fun and easy if you read other blogs. Anyways, on to this countdown, the majority of the week (and I say the majority because Cruel Summer is back at #1) made up for UC losing to Oklahoma today, the real blow to that being this is their first Big 12 game ever. Ok, so here are the songs that left:

Harry Styles- Satellite (#3 last week)
Fifty Fifty- Cupid (#19 last week)
New Jeans- Super Shy (#27 last week)

Countdown:
30. Tate Mcrae- Greedy (Debut)
29. Timbaland/ Nelly Furtado/ Justin Timberlake- Keep Going Up (=)
28. Paul Russell- Lil Boo Thang (=)
27. Doja Cat- Paint The Town Red (-4)
26. Kylie Minogue- Padam Padam (-5)
25. Teddy Swims- Lose Control (+5)
24. Nicki Minaj/ Ice Spice/ Aqua- Barbie World (-9)
23. Billie Eilish- What Was I Made For (+1)
22. Charli Xcx- Speed Drive (+3)
21. Dominic Fike- Mona Lisa (-4)
20. Luke Combs- Fast Car (Re-entry)
19. Lil Durk/ J Cole- All My Life (+1)
18. Crash Adams- Sugar Mommy (+8)
17. Nicki Minaj- Last Time I Saw You (Debut)
16. Fall Out Boy- Hold Me Like A Grudge (+6)
15. Sza- Snooze (-3)
14. Noah Kahan/ Post Malone- Dial Drunk (+4)
13. Olivia Rodrigo- Bad Idea Right (+1)
12. Crash Adams- Give Me A Kiss (+4)
11. Selena Gomez- Single Soon (-1)
10. Fall Out Boy- We Didn't Start The Fire (-1)
9. Jungkook/ Latto- Seven (+4)
8. Post Malone- Enough Is Enough (+3)
7. Olivia Rodrigo- Vampire (-2)
6. Jonas Brothers- Summer Baby (=)
5. Miley Cyrus- Used To Be Young (+3)
4. The Weeknd/ Madonna/ Playboi Carti- Popular (+3)
3. Dua Lipa- Dance The Night (-2)
2. Doechii- What It Is (+2)
1. Taylor Swift- Cruel Summer (+1) (Well this sure as hell does not make up for UC losing to Oklahoma)
Countdown Extra: All Time Low/ Avril Lavigne- Fake As Hell
Last Year's #1: Charlie Puth/ Jungkook- Left And Right
#1 Two Years Ago: The Kid Laroi/ Justin Bieber- Stay
My Favorite Song Last Year: David Guetta/ Bebe Rexha- I'm Good
My Favorite Song Two Years Ago: Dua Lipa- Love Again
Recommendations For Hits 1:
J Balvin/ Usher/ DJ Khaled- Dientes
Blink 182- More Than You Know
Alok/ The Chainsmokers/ Mae Stephens- Jungle

Up first, Greedy by Tate Mcrae debuted. Apparently, this might sample Promiscuous by Nelly Furtado and Timbaland, I'm not entirely sure how. My opinion on this song from last week still stands. I like the production, even though it doesn't scream Timbaland in my opinion. Also, Tate Mcrae sounds amazing per usual. I'm glad this is here.

For whatever reason, Fast Car by Luke Combs re-entered. Okay then. It hasn't been getting huge amounts of airplay, so this is kind of a shock.

And on the topic of low airplay, Last Time I Saw You by Nicki Minaj debuted at #17 this week. Still not complaining, as I like this one a decent bit. I think Nicki Minaj is a surprisingly good singer, and that shows here. It also has good production and it is in Bb major, the key I'm almost guaranteed to like songs in at this point. So I'm glad this is here, and I hope it jumps a few spots next week.

Hitbound
Sia- Gimme Love (Debut)
Blink 182- One Last Time (Debut)
Jordi- Just A Friend
Knox- Not The 1975 (Debut)
Henry Moodie- Pick Up The Phone (Debut)
Loud Luxury/ Two Friends/ Bebe Rexha- If Only I
The Rose- Back To Me (Debut)
All Time Low/ Avril Lavigne- Fake As Hell
(Gi)-Dle- I Do
Zach Bryan/ Kacey Musgraves- I Remember Everything (Debut)
Nightly- Shirt
Chris Brown- Summer Too Hot
Lu Kala- Hotter Now (Debut)
Sabrina Carpenter- Feather
Tyla Yaweh- Summer Vibes (Debut)
Daya- Downtown (Debut)

Ok, this is a first in a decent bit, 9 debuts this week. First up, we have Gimme Love by Sia. I'm pretty mixed on Sia's music. I liked Wild Ones with Flo Rida from 2012, and The Greatest with Kendrick Lamar and Cheap Thrills with Sean Paul from 2016. And then she has Chandelier which got completely overplayed and annoying, as well as Unstoppable from last year, which was quite bad. This new song is good. She sounds fine and I like the production, it's just moderately forgettable.

So Blink 182 put out two new songs yesterday, one of which was upbeat and is one of my recommendations this week, and the other is a ballad and is on this week. The criticisms are obvious, it's on the slower side and neither Mark Hoppus nor Tom Delonge sound like themselves, although they still sound pretty good. What does it for me is the lyrics. They are reflecting on their history and how they overcame tragedies such as Barker being involved in a plane crash in 2008 and Hoppus battling cancer two years ago, and through it all, they still remained close. I'd still like to see the upbeat track, More Than You Know, on here as well.

Ok this next one is pretty interesting to talk about. We have Dayton based singer Knox making his Hits 1 debut with Not The 1975. Interesting title, and even more of an interesting song. I like the production on this and Knox sounds like a cross between 347Aidan and Tom Delonge from Blink 182. The song is also in Bb major and the lyrics are made for this to be a club anthem. Not sure where they found this, but I'm glad they did.

We have another random newcomer up next, this is UK based Henry Moodie and his song Pick Up The Phone. This one is just good. He has a great singing voice, but it's pretty slow and forgettable. I'm fine with this being here though.

I've heard Kpop before, I've talked about various Kpop songs on here, but never have I talked about anything by a rock band from Korea until now. We have South Korean rock band The Rose and their song Back To Me. This feels a lot less like a Kpop song and more like an American rock song, and whoever the lead vocalist is sounds like a cross between Morgan Wallen and Teddy Swims, and that's a good thing. So, this is pretty cool.

Well, I guess it's finally time for me to talk about Zach Bryan. A couple weeks ago, his song I Remember Everything with Kacey Musgraves debuted at #1 on the hot 100 and has now made its way over to Hits 1. Safe to say there are better country songs than this. It's fine, it's just a little bit slow, although they both sound fine. It will be interesting to see what Hits 1 even does with this.

Lu Kala is back on Hits 1 for the first time since Pretty Girl Era earlier this year. This is called Hotter Now, and it's so much better than PGE. She sounds pretty good per usual and I like the somewhat retro feel of this. The key this is in is also an improvement of that in PGE. Fun song.

Ok, this next one is pretty overdue, and Tyla Yaweh should have appeared on Hits 1 before. So we have Tyla Yaweh's song Summer Vibes from two months ago debuting this weekend, even though it's the first weekend of Fall. All that aside, this song is pretty good. I really like Tyla Yaweh's accent, and he sounds pretty good here, and this feels like a perfect well before the end of summer song. So good job.

Lastly, Daya is back on here for the first time since her HB dropout Bad Girl from two years ago, this song is called Downtown, so she's stealing the title of a Macklemore song from 2015 that was not that great in my opinion. Well, this might actually be better than Macklemore's song of the same title. Interesting hook, interesting verses, interesting production. Glad this is here.

We lost Good Good, Get Him Back, Kpop, Heartbroken, Strings, Other Boys, On My Love, and Doing Time. The first five are in the abyss, so hopefully, the first three debut soon, and I hope Heartbroken and Strings don't end up debuting. I liked Other Boys, but it's not worth getting too worked up over it leaving. On My Love was disappointing for Guetta standards, and I forgot how Doing Time goes.

Blurbs:
Our exits were Satellite, Cupid, and Super Shy. Satellite has now broken the record for highest position a song has left from, leaving from #3. Honestly, I'm quite happy it's gone, it should never have been here in the first fucking place one year after the release of Harry's House. And both Cupid and Super Shy were starting to get a bit annoying, so overall, the exits were a W.

Ok why isn't Keep Going Up living up to its title?

Lose Control got a nice jump off its debut.

I guess Barbie World might be out soon, following its 9 spot drop.

Sugar Mommy took a few weeks to jump huge.

Can Snooze just go away already?

Ayy, Dial Drunk is back in the top 15. 

Umm, why is Enough Is Enough in the top 10 despite not a lot of airplay?

Oh no. It looks like Used To Be Young is becoming the next Flowers, and that's not a good sign.

Looks like What It Is is now at #2. I really want this to hit #1 next week, because for whatever reason, Cruel Summer is back at #1. Completely unnecessary.

I guess that does it for me this week, see you guys next week.

Comments

  1. So sad to this community dying so rapidly...
    I need to do something about this

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The streak has been snapped (Week of 1/27/2024)

And so I concluded the first week of my current semester... (Week of 1/13/2024)