The streak has been snapped (Week of 1/27/2024)

 

Hello everyone, thanks for reading another post of mine. This week was not as interesting as the last two, mainly because this is the first time we did not have a new #1 this week since 2019. For reference, Circles, Levitating, That's What I Want, and Made You Puke all first hit #1 this week four years ago, three years ago, two years ago, and one year ago respectively. So let's just get into it, here is our lone exit:

Post Malone- Enough Is Enough (#20 last week)

Countdwown:
30. Umi/ V- Wherever U R (Debut)
29. Post Malone- Sign Me Up (+1)
28. Lewis Capaldi- Strangers (=)
27. Nicki Minaj/ Lil Uzi Vert- Everybody (+2)
26. Thirty Seconds To Mars- Seasons (=)
25. Lil Nas X- J Christ (+2)
24. Noah Kahan- Stick Season (-11)
23. Usher/ Summer Walker/ 21 Savage- Good Good (+2)
22. Ariana Grande- Yes And (+2)
21. Jungkook- Standing Next To You (+2)
20. Henry Moodie- Pick Up The Phone (-9)
19. Tyla- Water (+2)
18. Renee Rapp/ Megan Thee Stallion- Not My Fault (+1)
17. Paul Russell- Lil Boo Thang (-1)
16. Doja Cat- Agora Hills (+1)
15. Taylor Swift- Now That We Don't Talk (+7)
14. Nicki Minaj- Pink Friday Girls (-2)
13. Olivia Rodrigo- Can't Catch Me Now (+5)
12. Jack Harlow- Lovin On Me (-2)
11. Tate McRae- Exes (-2)
10. Knox- Not The 1975 (-2)
9. Kenya Grace- Strangers (+5)
8. AJR- Yes I'm A Mess (+7)
7. Sabrina Carpenter- Feather (=)
6. Jonas Brothers/ Bailey Zimmerman- Strong Enough (=)
5. Taylor Swift- Is It Over Now (-1)
4. Olivia Rodrigo- Get Him Back (+1)
3. Teddy Swims- Lose Control (-1)
2. Dua Lipa- Houdini (+1)
1. Tate McRae- Greedy (=)
Countdown Extra: Benson Boone- Beautiful Things
Last Year's #1: Meghan Trainor- Made You Puke
#1 Two Years Ago: Lil Nas X- That's What I Want
My Favorite Song Last Year: Fall Out Boy- Love From The Other Side
My Favorite Song Two Years Ago: Sza- I Hate U
Recommendations For Hits 1: Cheat Codes/ Birdy- Heads Up and Jason Derulo/ Michael Bublé- Spicy Margarita

We have one debut this week after a combined total of twelve the past two weeks, this is Wherever U R by Umi and V from BTS. Honestly, I feel like this could get pretty annoying for me rather quickly. This is a bit too slow for me, and while Umi sounds pretty good, I think V doesn't sound as good as someone like Jungkook or Jimin. Hopefully, this isn't here for too long.

Hitbound
Kygo/ Ava Max- Whatever
Alec Benjamin- Pick Me (Debut)
Ice Spice- Think You The S*** (Debut)
Crash Adams- Good Side
Fletcher- Lead Me On (Debut)
Jagwar Twin- Bad Feeling
Lil Nas X- Where Do We Go Now (Debut)
Flyana Boss- Candyman (Debut)
Boys Like Girls- Miracle
Justin Timberlake- Selfish (Debut)
Paul Russell- Say Cheese (Debut)
Willow Avalon- Honey Ain't No Sweeter
Knox- Here's To Us
Teddy Swims- The Door (Debut)
The Kid Laroi- Heaven (Debut)
Fall Out Boy- So Much (For) Stardust (Debut)

Oh shit, 10 debuts, this could be rough. First up, we have Alec Benjamin's latest song, Pick Me. This is pretty good. The vibe of this reminds me a lot of Stick Season by Noah Kahan, and Alec Benjamin still sounds pretty good. So I'll take this over I Sent My Therapist To Therapy.

Ice Spice also brings a new song, with a moderately strange title, Think You The S***. I have mixed opinions here. I think this has the right vibe and she once again has a solid flow, I just wish there were more melodies here. So overall, it's solid.

For the first time in over a year, we have new music from Fletcher on here. This is called Lead Me On. This one is pretty good too. This is the right sound for her, it makes more sense than Becky's So Hot (Did I just remind everyone that existed?) and she sounds pretty good here too. Good to see this.

Next up, not only did Lil Nas X blatantly jack the title from Where Do We Go Now by Gracie Abrams for his new song, he tried to make it sound like that song without covering or even sampling it. And it worked out pretty well for him. And I like this more than Gracie Abrams's song of the same title. It starts off moderately slow but evolves a lot as it goes on, and Lil Nas X once again does a good job here. I hope this a hit (but they shouldn't ditch J Christ for this though).

I think we remember Flyana Boss from You Wish in August of last year. Well, they're back with Candyman, and I prefer You Wish over this. This is more just there and could likely sour on me the longer it stays in. I feel like they are multiple parts to this that I can't piece together, and the sounded better on You Wish. Can this not stick around please?

All right, we're halfway done with this list of debuts. Justin Timberlake did two re-teamings last year, with Timbaland and Nelly Furtado on Keep Going Up and with his Nsync bandmates on Better Place, and you may remember both of those were top 15 on my best list for 2023. He has a new solo album out soon and will be the musical guest on SNL tonight, following the release of this new single, Selfish. Not exactly sold on this here. He sounds fine, it feels a bit slow for me and it's in F# major, and that pairing doesn't exactly go well for me. It definitely has the potential to grow on me.

Of course Hits 1 picked up on Paul Russell's latest, Say Cheese. And I honestly like this more than Lil Boo Thang. He sounds good here and I like the production here, plus it might have a catchier hook than Lil Boo Thang. I also like that he is rapping in the second verse. I hope this is on the countdown.

So these last three songs weren't in Hits 1's new music Friday post from yesterday but somehow made it on. Anyways, next up we have The Door by Teddy Swims. I like this one more than Lose Control, mainly because it's more upbeat. He also sounds good again and it's in a key that makes sense. So I'm glad I heard this.

The Kid Laroi brings us another song after Bleed never took off anywhere and Too Much recently left, this is called Heaven. I would call this better than Bleed but not as good as Too Much. This is somewhat on the upbeat side (notice how I only said Somewhat?) and he sounds pretty good here, but it's moderately forgettable.

Lastly... Hits 1 picked up on the title track off Fall Out Boy's album So Much (For) Stardust ten months after its release. Not sure why they did that. And yet... this is another banger from Fall Out Boy, with some solid production and Patrick Stump sounds great here per usual. So this is questionable as to why it's here but the song isn't.

We lost Beautiful Things (even though it was the extra), Fall In Love Again, Body Moving, You Know Who You Love, I Sent My Therapist To Therapy, Foolish, Good Intentions, Inertia, and Night Shift. As well as being the extra, Beautiful Things is in the abyss, so I really want this to debut next week because it is by far my favorite Benson Boone song, I wish Fall In Love Again and Body Moving hadn't left one week after growing on me, I was never sold on You Know Who You Love, ISMTTT was replaced by a better Alec Benjamin song, Good Intentions was solid but I never fully expected it to debut, Inertia would have been a really great song if it wasn't for the key change at the end, and both Foolish and Night Shift deserved to debut.

Blurbs
We only had one exit on the countdown, Enough Is Enough. It had a good run for what it was.

Noooo why did Stick Season drop 11 spots after its huge jump last week? This should have stayed in the top 15!

Pick Up The Phone also took a huge tumble after its jump, but with the lower airplay, it at least makes some sense.

Great. It looks like we're going to make Now That We Don't Talk a hit.

Can't Catch Me Now is in the top 15 for the first time since its debut... this has underperformed for an Olivia Rodrigo song.

Strangers and Yes I'm A Mess both re-entered the top 10, yes on both.

Ok why the fuck is Greedy still #1? For reference, it's #32 in airplay, so it shoudn't even be in the top 5. Meanwhile, Lose Control and Houdini are both in the top 5 in airplay, so you'd think Greedy would take a huge drop and one of those two songs would be #1, but nope. Greedy somehow randomly stayed at #1 again despite the low airplay. Don't get me wrong, I haven't gotten tired of this yet (even though I almost did last month), but I think it's time for something else to be #1. 

I guess that does it for me this week, see you guys next week.

Comments

  1. Where do you find the new music Friday post?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kinda revived my blog, go check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uhhh Brain Dead re-entered with like 10 spins on Hits 1. If that's possible can we please have NTWDT and CCMN re-enter next week bc they not deserve to leave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful Things jump 23 spots and Yes And should keep underperforming.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

And so I concluded the first week of my current semester... (Week of 1/13/2024)

UC first Big 12 football game edition (Week of 9/23/2023)