Average countdown, good Hitbound (Week of 3/2/2024)

 

Hello everyone, welcome back to another countdown post. This week was relatively boring compared to the last few, but Hitbound this week had some great debuts. Let's just get into it, here are the songs that left:

Max/ Huh Yunjin- Stupid In Love (#28 last week)
Lewis Capaldi- Strangers (#19 last week)

Countdown:
30. Knox- Me Myself & Your Eyes (Debut)
29. Selena Gomez- Love On (Debut)
28. Nicki Minaj/ Lil Uzi Vert- Everybody (+1)
27. Umi/ V- Wherever U R (+3)
26. Paul Russell- Say Cheese (-1)
25. Jessie Murph/ Jelly Roll- Wild Ones (+1)
24. Dua Lipa- Training Season (=)
23. Victoria Monet- On My Mama (+4)
22. Jungkook- Standing Next To You (+1)
21. Nicki Minaj- Pink Friday Girls (+1)
20. Benson Boone- Beautiful Things (+1)
19. Tyla- Water (-1)
18. Jack Harlow- Lovin On Me (-6)
17. Thirty Seconds To Mars- Seasons (-8)
16. Ariana Grande/ Mariah Carey- Yes And (=)
15. Noah Kahan- Stick Season (-4)
14. Doja Cat- Agora Hills (+6)
13. Henry Moodie- Pick Up The Phone (+4)
12. Renee Rapp/ Megan Thee Stallion- Not My Fault (+2)
11. Justin Timberlake- Selfish (+4)
10. Tate McRae- Greedy (-2)
9. Teddy Swims- Lose Control (+4)
8. Kenya Grace- Strangers (-2)
7. AJR- Yes I'm A Mess (=)
6. Olivia Rodrigo- Get Him Back (+4)
5. Knox- Not The 1975 (-1)
4. Tate McRae- Exes (-1)
3. Taylor Swift- Is It Over Now (+2)
2. Sabrina Carpenter- Feather (=)
1. Dua Lipa- Houdini (=)
Countdown Extra: Sza- Saturn
Last Year's #1: Miley Cyrus- Flowers
#1 Two Years Ago: Ed Sheeran- Overpass Graffiti
My Favorite Song Last Year: Pink Pantheress/ Ice Spice- Boy's A Liar Part 2
My Favorite Song Two Years Ago: Alesso/ Katy Perry- When I'm Gone
#1 Recommendation For Hits 1: Linkin Park- Friendly Fire

Up first, we have Knox's latest, Me Myself & Your Eyes. And aside from Not The 1975, this might be my favorite song from him. It's a love song, and then he sounds quite good per usual, along to solid production. I hope this has success here.

Our other debut this week is Love On by Selena Gomez. This is pretty good, definitely a lot better than Single Soon. The production just makes more sense, as does the song as a whole. Plus she sounds quite good, and I believe the lyrics are about her relationship with Benny Blanco. So overall, great song.

Hitbound:
Teddy Swims- The Door
Twenty One Pilots- Overcompensate (Debut)
Alec Benjamin- Pick Me
Galantis/ David Guetta/ 5 Seconds Of Summer- Lighter (Debut)
Lay/ Lauv- Run Back To You (Debut)
The Beaches- Blame Brett
Surfaces/ Jvke- Don't Let Me Down (Debut)
Fall Out Boy- So Much (For) Stardust
Jessie Murph- Son Of A
Liam Payne- Teardrops (Debut)
Pharrell/ Miley Cyrus- Doctor (Debut)
Jagwar Twin- Bad Feeling
Alex Warren- Before You Leave Me
Crash Adams- Good Side
Willow Avalon- Honey Ain't No Sweeter
Nicky Youre- S.A.D.

So when I say great debuts this week, I fucking mean great debuts. First up, Twenty One Pilots are back for the first time in almost three years, their new song is called Overcompensate. I've always liked Twenty One Pilots, and this is no exception. Tyler Joseph sounds amazing per usual and I like the production. Glad they're back.

Next up, we have this. It's Galantis, David Guetta, and 5 Seconds Of Summer on a song called Lighter. H o l y C r a p. This is amazing. I should mention that Galantis and David Guetta have worked together twice before on Heartbreak Anthem with Little Mix and Damn with MNEK, and 5 Seconds Of Summer have done EDM before, and I quite liked Who Do You Love with the Chainsmokers from 2019. So naturally, this works quite well. Galantis and David Guetta did a great job producing, and Luke Hemmings sounds great. I also like it when Galantis uses electric violins in their productions, and this was executed quite well here too. Super happy I heard this.

The great debuts continue with Run Back To You by Lay and Lauv, and this would get the purple ranking if Lighter was not here. Both Lay and Lauv sound quite good here and the production is cool, notably the "drop" after the chorus. I hope they make this a hit.

It's been a while since the Surfaces last appeared on Hits 1, I believe their last Hits 1 appearance was I Can't Help But Feel, which was really just there. Today, they bring us Don't Let Me Down, and aside from the fact that they blatantly jacked the title from a Chainsmokers/ Daya song from 2016, I like this. Everyone sounds pretty good and I like the production, but I think the key change at the end wasn't needed and moderately threw me off guard, but unlike ten other songs with key changes, this one isn't completely unlistenable. So fun song.

On the topic of artists I haven't heard from in a while, Liam Payne is back for the first time since Midnight with Alesso four years ago, this is called Teardrops. I usually like Liam Payne, and this is pretty good but not among his best. He sounds pretty good per usual and it has some solid production. So I'm glad this is on here overall.

Lastly, Miley Cyrus hasn't been on my good side lately with Flowers and Used To Be Young and maybe Jaded. But today, she and Pharrell team up on Doctor, and this is better than everything I heard from her last year except maybe River. This might be among the better Miley Cyrus vocal performances I've heard, and Pharrell's production slaps hard. If this is as big as Flowers and Used To Be Young, I honestly won't mind. 

We lost Drown (which is in the abyss), Saturn (even though it was the extra), Make You Mine, and Body Moving. If we remember what happened with Say Cheese a couple weeks ago, it's safe to assume that none of these songs are gone for good and could debut next week. We shall see.

Blurbs:
Our exits were Stupid In Love and Strangers (Lewis Capaldi's). Not entirely surprising, both of these took sharp plummets in airplay yesterday, but I'm hoping Stupid In Love re-enters at some point, and Strangers was good but something I can live without.

Could Lovin On Me just stop flopping already?

Nooo why did Seasons took a huge hit? This should have stayed in the top 10!

Looks like Selfish is almost in the top 10, I should point out that this would have been an 10 spot drop had the fake countdown from last week happened. 

Lose Control, despite lagging in airplay, re-entered the top 10. This is starting to fade on me, so I wouldn't mind if this left somewhat soon.

Is It Over Now somehow jumped two spots... please don't let this hit #1 like it was on the Electric Top 20 last week. At the same time, though, I think we need a new #1 sometime soon, hoping Not The 1975, Exes, or Feather can make it there.

I guess that does it for me this week, see you guys next week.

Comments

  1. Can you do the full 2023 Hit Bound dropout list? I actually don't remember all the songs from that year that were dropped out of Hit Bound. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The streak has been snapped (Week of 1/27/2024)

Real Post (Week of 2/24/2023)

And so I concluded the first week of my current semester... (Week of 1/13/2024)