No, the countdown did not get shortened to 20 songs, and Houdini did not hold on to the #1 (Week of 3/30/2024)

 

Hello everyone, welcome to another countdown post. Sorry this is late, I was busy with Easter this past weekend. This week was just about average, except Daniel and a few others made the most bizarre fake countdown I've ever seen, usually, fake countdowns have a new #1 usually disliked by other people in the server. But this fake countdown was shortened to 20 songs "due to Gen Z attention spans" and had Houdini at #1 for a 9th week in a row, whereas the real countdown had 30 songs and a new #1, which I will get into later. Let's just get into it, here are the songs that left:

Tyla- Water (#16 last week)
Ariana Grande- Yes And (#8 last week)
Kenya Grace- Strangers (#10 last week)

Countdown:
30. Shinedown- A Symptom Of Being Human (Debut)
29. Meghan Trainor/ T Pain- Been Like This (=)
28. Twenty One Pilots- Overcompensate (-2)
27. Usher- Kissing Strangers (+1)
26. Olivia Rodrigo- Obsessed (Debut)
25. Luke Hemmings- Shakes (+5)
24. Jack Harlow- Lovin On Me (-6)
23. Dasha- Austin (Debut)
22. Madison Beer- Make You Mine (+5)
21. Djo- End Of Beginning (+1)
20. Sza- Saturn (+3)
19. Girl In Red- Too Much (+5)
18. Tate McRae- Greedy (+1)
17. Teddy Swims- Lose Control (+3)
16. Selena Gomez- Love On (+9)
15. Knox- Me Myself & Your Eyes (+2)
14. Ariana Grande- We Can't Be Friends (+7)
13. Justin Timberlake- Selfish (+2)
12. Renee Rapp/ Megan Thee Stallion- Not My Fault (-6)
11. AJR- Yes I'm A Mess (-2)
10. Beyonce- Texas Hold Em (+4)
9. Henry Moodie- Pick Up The Phone (+4)
8. Taylor Swift- Is It Over Now (-1)
7. Noah Kahan- Stick Season (+4)
6. Dua Lipa- Training Season (+6)
5. Benson Boone- Beautiful Things (-2)
4. Tate McRae- Exes (=)
3. Knox- Not The 1975 (+2)
2. Dua Lipa- Houdini (-1)
1. Sabrina Carpenter- Feather (+1)
Countdown Extra: Benson Boone- Slow It Down (Bad Feeling by Jagwar Twin was the extra in the fake countdown, I plan on using both songs in the 2024 Countdown Extras RD)
Last year's #1: Tiesto/ Tate McRae- 10:35
#1 Two Years Ago: Imagine Dragons/ JID- Enemy
My Favorite Song Last Year: Jax- Cinderella Snapped
My Favorite Song Two Years Ago: Tyga/ Doja Cat- Freaky Deaky
Recommendations For Hits 1: Zerb/ The Chainsmokers/ Ink- Addicted and Cheat Codes/ Regard- Stay Another Night

First up, it's been 14 years since the band Shinedown last appeared on here, their last song on here was If You Only Knew back in 2010. And this is a good comeback for them too. The production is solid here and Brent Smith sounds quite good per usual. I hope they make this a hit.

Up next is the only debut from the fake countdown and my current favorite song on here, Obsessed by Olivia Rodrigo. My opinion on this still stands. This is hands down Olivia Rodrigo's best song thus far. The vibe on this is legendary, and yes, I still think this might sample Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana. I don't know this for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if it actually did. Anyways, Olivia Rodrigo once again sounds quite great, in fact, this might be among her better vocal performances. I really want this to be huge, you know, just as long as it doesn't get to #1 too quickly.

Our last debut comes from Dasha, this is called Austin. This song is quite good. I like the Western vibe this song is going for and Dasha sounds great throughout. Glad this made its way out of the abyss.

Hitbound:
Fall Out Boy- So Much (For) Stardust
Camila Cabello/ Playboi Carti- I Luv It (Debut)
Haiden Henderson- Hell Of A Good Time
Jvke- Clouds (Debut)
Beyonce/ Miley Cyrus- II Most Wanted (Debut)
Porter Robinson- Cheerleader
Hozier- Too Sweet (Debut)
Nicky Youre- Part Time Lover
Jagwar Twin- Bad Feeling
The Beaches- Blame Brett
Teddy Swims- The Door
Wallows- Calling After Me
Liam Payne- Teardrops
Alec Benjamin- King Size Bed
Kenya Grace- It's Not Fair
Alex Warren- Before You Leave Me

Our first debut is a very interesting collab, it's Camila Cabello and Playboi Carti on I Luv it. This is super cool. I usually like Camila Cabello's music, and she once again sounds quite good. I also like Playboi Carti's verse, that's the best part, he sounds better than he did on Popular from last year, almost like Lil Baby. Glad to hear from Camila Cabello again.

Wait, what? A Jvke song not called This Is What (insert random phrase here) Feels Like? All right. So we have Clouds today, and this is among my favorite songs from him. The production on this is among the best for a Jvke song, and he once again sounds quite good. I hope this is a hit.

Two days ago (as of when I'm writing this), Beyonce dropped Cowboy Carter, and from it, we have II Most Wanted with Miley Cyrus. Well, I can safely say 2024 Miley Cyrus is better than 2023 Miley Cyrus. This is a pretty good song, these two have on point chemistry, but I feel like the production is a little bit too slow. That's what causes me to give the blue ranking, but it could grow on me.

Our last debut is a new Hozier song that could debut highly on the hot 100, and honestly, I hope it does based on this one listen. The last time I heard from Hozier, it was Tell It To My Heart with Meduza from a couple years ago (I never listened to that song he did with Noah Kahan from late last year), which was pretty good, and this new song, Too Sweet, could be my favorite song from him thus far. The beat on this is on point, Hozier sounds really good, and the song is in G Minor, and if you've been here for a while, you would know that if a song is in that key, it is guaranteed to be good. So yeah, I hope to see this on the countdown soon.

We lost What I Am, Slow It Down (even though it was the extra on the real countdown), and Clarity, all of which appear to be in the abyss. So I don't exactly care what happens to these in the coming weeks.

Blurbs
Our exits were Water, Yes And, and Strangers, these all also fell victim to the fake countdown being shortened except for Water, which should still technically be on the real countdown and should have peaked higher than it did. Yes And was a good song, but I definitely prefer We Can't Be Friends. And Strangers also had a good run.

Ok why did Shakes jump five spots off its debut? The more success this gets, the more I will get annoyed by its existence because of how much Lighter got robbed. At least it fell victim to the shortening of the fake countdown. 

Looks like Lovin On Me is on its way out (whereas it finally reached a new peak of #8 on the fake countdown).

Glad to see Love On getting a huge jump into the top 20 (while it also fell victim to the shortening of the fake countdown).

Why are Greedy and Lose Control still here? For reference, these both fell victim to the shortening of the fake countdown.

Coincidentally, Texas Hold Em is #10 on both the real countdown and the fake countdown. Just thought I'd bring that up.

Training Season is almost in the top 5, let's get in there next week.

Lastly, we have a new #1 this week, Feather by Sabrina Carpenter. (Whereas on the fake countdown, Houdini was #1 for a 9th week in a row and Feather dropped three spots). Anyways, this is Sabrina Carpenter's first ever #1 on here and I'm glad this eventually made the top spot. It's a super catchy song and I'm glad we finally have a new #1 because I was starting to get tired of Houdini. I honestly see this only lasting one or two weeks here because I want Not The 1975 and Beautiful Things to hit #1 soon.

I guess that does it for me this week, see you guys next week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The streak has been snapped (Week of 1/27/2024)

And so I concluded the first week of my current semester... (Week of 1/13/2024)

UC first Big 12 football game edition (Week of 9/23/2023)