No, seriously, we need a new #1 next week (Week of 3/23/2024)

 

Hello everyone, it's the first weekend of March Madness edition. I still have only three submissions for my rankdown (not counting my own), so if you are planning on submitting, please get those in. On to this week, my major criticism is that we are in need of a new #1, and I'll talk about this later. Let's just go over the songs that left:

Jungkook- Standing Next To You (#16 last week)
Olivia Rodrigo- Get Him Back (#8 last week)

Countdown:
30. Luke Hemmings- Shakes (Debut)
29. Meghan Trainor/ T Pain- Been Like This (Debut)
28. Usher- Kissing Strangers (-2)
27. Madison Beer- Make You Mine (=)
26. Twenty One Pilots- Overcompensate (+4)
25. Selena Gomez- Love On (-2)
24. Girl In Red- Too Much (+1)
23. Sza- Saturn (+1)
22. Djo- End Of Beginning (+6)
21. Ariana Grande- We Can't Be Friends (+8)
20. Teddy Swims- Lose Control (-1)
19. Tate McRae- Greedy (+2)
18. Jack Harlow- Lovin On Me (+2)
17. Knox- Me Myself & Your Eyes (=)
16. Tyla- Water (=)
15. Justin Timberlake- Selfish (-2)
14. Beyonce- Texas Hold Em (+8)
13. Henry Moodie- Pick Up The Phone (+2)
12. Dua Lipa- Training Season (+2)
11. Noah Kahan- Stick Season (+1)
10. Kenya Grace- Strangers (-4)
9. AJR- Yes I'm A Mess (+1)
8. Ariana Grande- Yes And (+1)
7. Taylor Swift- Is It Over Now (-3)
6. Renee Rapp/ Megan Thee Stallion- Not My Fault (+5)
5. Knox- Not The 1975 (=)
4. Tate McRae- Exes (-1)
3. Benson Boone- Beautiful Things (+4)
2. Sabrina Carpenter- Feather (=)
1. Dua Lipa- Houdini (=)
Countdown Extra: Zayn- What I Am
Last Year's #1: Tiesto/ Tate McRae- 10:35
#1 Two Years Ago: Imagine Dragons/ JID- Enemy
My Favorite Song Last Year: Jax- Cinderella Snapped
My Favorite Song Two Years Ago: Tyga/ Doja Cat- Freaky Deaky
Recommendations For Hits 1:
Cash Cash/ Bryce Vine- New Madonna
Dabin/ Said The Sky/ Clara Mae- In The End
Vaultboy/ Salem Ilese- Closer
Sheppard- Edge Of The Earth

Our first of two debuts is Shakes by Luke Hemmings. And after thinking this through within the past week, I've decided this song isn't for me at all. This is a bit too slow for my liking despite him sounding fine. I'm also quite annoyed that this heavily overshadowed his fire banger with Galantis, David Guetta, and the other 5SOS members, and this was something I warned everyone about when I first reviewed this a couple weeks ago.

Our other debut is so much better, Been Like This by Meghan Trainor and T Pain. My opinion here still stands. This is super cool. Both of them sound quite good, especially T Pain, and I like the production on this. I hope they make this a hit.

Hitbound:
Zayn- What I Am
Olivia Rodrigo- Obsessed (Debut)
Jagwar Twin- Bad Feeling
Benson Boone- Slow It Down (Debut)
Wallows- Calling After Me (Debut)
24kgoldn- Clarity
Alec Benjamin- King Size Bed (Debut)
Alex Warren- Before You Leave Me
Fall Out Boy- So Much (For) Stardust
Liam Payne- Teardrops
Porter Robinson- Cheerleader (Debut)
Nicky Youre- Part Time Lover
Kenya Grace- It's Not Fair
Haiden Henderson- Hell Of A Good Time
Teddy Swims- The Door
The Beaches- Blame Brett

Up first, Olivia Rodrigo put out the deluxe version to Guts, and from it, we have Obsessed. Wow. This might be my favorite Olivia Rodrigo song thus far. I'm quite convinced this samples Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana, and in a good way, too. Olivia Rodrigo also sounds quite great throughout per usual. Just an amazing song.

Up next, Benson Boone brings another song for the first time since Beautiful Things blew up, this is called Slow It Down. I feel like he was trying to use the same formula he used on that song, but it isn't exactly working as well as it did on that song, probably because it's more forgettable and the melodies aren't as great. But still, solid song.

If you don't know, Dylan Minnette is an actor who went the Jared Leto route and formed a band with some friends. And today, his band Wallows make their debut with Calling After Me.  This is pretty good. The production here is on point and Dylan Minnette sounds quite good. Glad I heard this.

Next up, Alec Benjamin returns with King Size Bed. And really this is fine, It's on the forgettable side but I do remember him sounding pretty good and it had solid production. I'll need to listen again.

Our final debut comes from Porter Robinson, an EDM DJ and singer who's been around for some time but is just now making his Hits 1 debut with Cheerleader. Yes, he jacked the title from my favorite song of 2015, and this new song is good but not as good as that song. I was honestly expecting this to be house, that said, Porter Robinson's production is still soild and he sounds quite good. Glad he's finally here.

We lost, Von Dutch, Run Back To You, and Doctor. I was never expecting Von Dutch to do anything, but the other two deserved to debut the countdown, and I hope they eventually pull a Say Cheese.

Blurbs:
Our exits were Standing Next To You and Get Him Back. I was never sold on Standing Next To You, and Get Him Back was starting to get quite old, so the exits this week are a W.

Great to see Overcompensate jumping four spots after its debut.

Once again, I'm asking how Lose Control and Greedy are still here.

Texas Hold Em finally jumped somewhat huge. Interesting to see.

Strangers is finally not #6.

Is It Over Now finally left the top 5. I hope it stays out.

Beautiful Things is now at #3, his highest peaking hit. I hope this hits #1.

Houdini is #1 for an 8th week in a row, we are in need of a new #1 ASAP. It's still a good song, but we're three months into 2024 and only two songs have been #1 since New Year's Day 2024 (not counting Selfish since that was only ever #1 on a fake countdown). I think we need more songs at #1 this year please.

I guess that does it for me this week, see you guys next week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The streak has been snapped (Week of 1/27/2024)

And so I concluded the first week of my current semester... (Week of 1/13/2024)

UC first Big 12 football game edition (Week of 9/23/2023)