It went wrong in the final third (Week of 4/20/2024)

 

Hello everyone, and happy 4/20 to those who celebrate (I don't, but I'm sure there are people reading this who do). This week started out promising, with 6 exits and and some decent jumps in the beginning but got boring fairly quickly, including the entire top 9 holding their respective positions from last week. Hitbound, meanwhile, is easier to talk about this week with only two debuts compared to 20 combined in the past two weeks, but one of them, I have too much to say about. You have been warned. All right, let's just get into it, here are our exits:

Benson Boone- Slow It Down (#26 last week)
Olivia Rodrigo- So American (#23 last week)
Madison Beer- Make You Mine (#27 last week)
Dua Lipa- Houdini (#10 last week)
Selena Gomez- Love On (#12 last week)
Twenty One Pilots- Overcompensate (#19 last week)

Countdown:
30. The Beaches- Blame Brett (Debut)
29. Muni Long- Made For Me (Debut)
28. Teddy Swims- The Door (Debut)
27. Victoria Monet- On My Mama (Re-entry)
26. Dua Lipa- Illusion (Debut)
25. Glass Animals- Creatures In Heaven (+5)
24. Usher- Kissing Strangers (-2)
23. Luke Hemmings- Shakes (-4)
22. Sabrina Carpenter- Espresso (Debut)
21. Imagine Dragons- Eyes Closed (+7)
20. Beyonce/ Miley Cyrus- II Most Wanted (+9)
19. Hozier- Too Sweet (+5)
18. Meghan Trainor/ T Pain- Been Like This (+7)
17. Girl In Red- Too Much (+1)
16. Dasha- Austin (+4)
15. Beyonce- Texas Hold Em (+2)
14. Djo- End Of Beginning (+1)
13. Sza- Saturn (+1)
12. Knox- Me Myself & Your Eyes (+1)
11. Shinedown- A Symptom Of Being Human (=)
10. Olivia Rodrigo- Obsessed (+6)
9. Noah Kahan- Stick Season (=)
8. Justin Timberlake- Selfish (=)
7. Renee Rapp/ Megan Thee Stallion- Not My Fault (=)
6. Henry Moodie- Pick Up The Phone (=)
5. Ariana Grande- We Can't Be Friends (=)
4. Knox- Not The 1975 (=)
3. Dua Lipa- Training Season (=)
2. Benson Boone- Beautiful Things (=)
1. Sabrina Carpenter- Feather (=)
Countdown Extra: OneRepublic- Nobody
Last Year's #1: Tiesto/ Tate McRae- 10:35
#1 Two Years Ago: Imagine Dragons/ JID- Enemy
My Favorite Song Last Year: Charlie Puth/ Dan + Shay- That's Not How This Works
My Favorite Song Two Years Ago: Jack Harlow- First Class
Recommendations For Hits 1:
Kygo/ Zak Abel/ Nile Rodgers- For Life
R3hab/ Jason Derulo- Animal
Lost Frequencies/ David Kushner- In My Bones
DJ Snake/ Peso Pluma- Teka

This first debut spent a decent bit of time on HB, and now makes its way on to the countdown. It's Blame Brett by The Beaches, and this is pretty good. It's actually a solid diss track on an ex, and I know it's an ex diss track because Brett is the name of lead vocalist Jordan Miller's ex. Anyways, Jordan Miller sounds quite good here and it has solid production. Hopefully, this is a hit.

I haven't talked about this one before. So Muni Long is on the countdown for the first time ever after Baby Boo and Angel Part 1 both dropped out of HB. And this new song, Made For Me, is quite good. The lyrics are amazing and it's in the key of Bb major, so that is always a recipe for a good song. It does feel a little bit slow towards the beginning, but other than that, solid song.

Blame Brett was not the only song that spent multiple weeks in HB but debuting this week, because up next, after 11 weeks in HB and 1 week in the abyss, The Door by Teddy Swims debuts. I still like this more than I do Lose Control, mainly because it's more upbeat and he sounds better. I'm glad this eventually made it on here.

On My Mama by Victoria Monet re-entered. Ok then. It has indeed faded on me a little bit though.

I talked about these last two debuts last week. Up next, we have Illusion by Dua Lipa, and I still think that the other two songs I heard from Radical Optimism are better than this one. The feel is a little bit different and the key doesn't exactly go with this. However, she still sounds fine and the production here does work. So, good song overall. By the way, I can confirm I will be reviewing Radical Optimism as part of my two year anniversary in a couple weeks.

Our final debut is Sabrina Carpenter's latest, Espresso. And yes, this grew on me this past week. I still don't exactly plan on revisiting it anytime soon, but I can now say it's a good song, because it's reminding me of some songs I've liked in the past. So yeah, solid song.

Hitbound
Doja Cat/ Teezo Touchdown- Masc
Taylor Swift/ Post Malone- Fortnight (Debut)
Mimi Webb- Mistake
Mark Ambor- Belong Together
Knox- Change Your Mind (Debut)
Artemas- I Like The Way You Kiss Me
OneRepublic- Nobody
Michael Macargi- Scared To Start
Vaultboy- You're My Moon
Ava Max- My Oh My
D4vd- Feel It
Girl In Red/ Sabrina Carpenter- You Need Me Now
David Guetta/ OneRepublic- I Don't Wanna Wait
People R Ugly- Dumb
Porter Robinson- Cheerleader (Re-entry)
Chappell Roan- Good Luck Babe.

Great. Just fucking great. For whatever reason, Post Malone thought it would be a good idea to feature on Taylor Swift's album The Tortured Poets Department on the lead single Fortnight. And yeah, this doesn't work for a shit ton of reasons. Yes, it seems like more of a Reputation Taylor's Version vault track, and feels so unbearably slow, apparently, that's what the rest of the fucking album is, so don't even bother counting me in with fucking anything having to do with this. Anyways, I'm not entirely sure what the fucking point of crediting Post Malone when he doesn't even sing a shit ton, mainly just fucking backing vocals. I was really expecting better from him after that quite underwhelming album Austin from last year, and him featuring on a Taylor Swift song is always a complete WTF moment. I just fucking want Post Malone to be on the level he was in 2017-2019. Maybe if he gets Jon Bon Jovi and Offset on his next song, that would be quite amazing.

Well, after that natural disaster, we have a new song from Knox called Change Your Mind. This is quite good compared to what I just talked about. Knox sounds quite good here per usual and it has solid production. Let's just hope Knox never collaborates with Taylor Swift, because I have a good reputation with him so far.

Lastly, Cheerleader by Porter Robinson re-entered. Pretty happy it's back.

We only lost Cry by Benson Boone, which is in the abyss.

Blurbs: 
Our exits were Slow It Down, So American, Make You Mine, Houdini, Love On, and Overcompensate. I feel like most of these are not gone for good, mainly the first three. I'm quite shocked the last two left after I thought they were going to jump more instead. Lastly, Houdini had a great run, but spent a little bit too long at #1, so I'm fine with that leaving.

Looks like they realized Shakes might not be huge.

Yes! Eyes Closed got a great jump off its debut! Get this into the top 20 next week.

II Most Wanted also jumped but into the top 20. Not as excited about this.

But a huge woohoo on Too Sweet there.

Great to see Obsessed in the top 10 finally.

The top 9 songs all held their respective spots from last week. Quite annoying. Hopefully, Beautiful Things is #1 next week.

I guess that does it for me this week, see you guys next week.

Comments

  1. Can you please submit to my event? Not trying to be annoying but I only have 4 submissions

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The streak has been snapped (Week of 1/27/2024)

And so I concluded the first week of my current semester... (Week of 1/13/2024)

UC first Big 12 football game edition (Week of 9/23/2023)