Possibly one of the best countdowns of the year (Week of 5/25/2024)

 

Hello everyone, welcome back to another countdown post. This was easily among the best weeks of 2024. Great debuts, interesting movement, and Fortnight still not being #1. Let's get into it, here are the songs that left:

Twenty One Pilots- Backslide (#26 last week)
Sabrina Carpenter- Feather (#6 last week)
Knox- Not The 1975 (#11 last week)
Meghan Trainor/ T Pain- Been Like This (#16 last week)
Muni Long- Made For Me (#22 last week)
Dua Lipa- Training Season (#8 last week)

Countdown:

30. Camila Cabello/ Lil Nas X- He Knows (-2)

29. Marshmello/ Kane Brown- Miles On It (Debut)

28. Justin Timberlake- No Angels (Debut)

27. D4vd- Feel It (+2)

26. The Chainsmokers- No Shade At Pitti (Debut)

25. Doja Cat- OkLoser (-2)

24. Gracie Abrams- Risk (Debut)

23. Ariana Grande- The Boy Is Mine (+2)

22. Beyonce/ Miley Cyrus- II Most Wanted (+4)

21. Chappell Roan- Good Luck Babe (Debut)

20. Post Malone/ Morgan Wallen- I Had Some Help (+7)

19. Billie Eilish- Lunch (Debut)

18. Shaboozey- A Bar Song (+4)

17. Artemas- I Like The Way You Kiss Me (+2)

16. Benson Boone- Slow It Down (+4)

15. Sza- Saturn (-3)

14. Noah Kahan- Stick Season (-5)

13. Madison Beer- Make You Mine (+17)

12. Knox- Me Myself & Your Eyes (+3)

11. Taylor Swift- I Can Do It With A Broken Heart (+7)

10. Teddy Swims- The Door (+7)

9. Dasha- Austin (-2)

8. Benson Boone- Beautiful Things (-5)

7. Ariana Grande- We Can’t Be Friends (-5)

6. Djo- End Of Beginning (+7)

5. Taylor Swift/ Post Malone- Fortnight (=)

4. Dua Lipa- Illusion (+10)

3. Sabrina Carpenter- Espresso (+7)

2. Olivia Rodrigo- Obsessed (+2)

1\. Hozier- Too Sweet (=)
Countdown Extra: Henry Moodie- Drunk Text
Last year's #1: Fall Out Boy- Love From The Other Side
#1 Two Years Ago: Harry Styles- Ass It Was
My Favorite Song Last Year: David Guetta/ Anne Marie/ Coi Leray- Baby Don't Hurt Me
My Favorite Song Two Years Ago: Jack Harlow- First Class
Recommendations For Hits 1:
Darin- Electric
Bebe Rexha- Chase It
Roosevelt- Automatic
Jeremy Zucker/ Lauv/ Alexander 23- Cozy

One of the reasons this week was so great is that we have a solid list of debuts, three of them deserve the purple treatment so I just ended up putting those three and A Bar Song in purple. First up is one of those three purple debuts, Miles On It by Marshmello and Kane Brown, a follow up to their 2019 collab One Thing Right. And I might actually like this one more. Marshmello's production is so much fun here and Kane Brown sounds quite good. I also quite like the truck references made here. I hope this has some longevity.

Next up, we have another song from Justin Timberlake's album Everything I Thought It Was called No Angels, and this is probably my favorite song from it thus far. It just feels so much more interesting than Selfish or Drown, and I should probably mention that I previously saw that this was produced by Calvin Harris. Anyways, Justin Timberlake once again sounds pretty good. I hope this sees a little bit of success.

Up next is the second debut deserving of the purple treatment, No Shade At Pitti by the Chainsmokers. I was genuinely never expecting this to make the countdown but I'm quite happy it's here. I still haven't listened to their EP No Hard Feelings yet, but of the three songs from it I've heard, this one is definitely my favorite. They once again did a great job producing and Drew Taggart sounds quite good per usual, plus the song is in Bb major. Also, weird side note, but whenever I hear that drop, I envision myself driving a speedboat. So, great TCS banger.

Next up, we have Gracie Abrams's latest, Risk. This still hasn't exactly clicked on me yet. Gracie Abrams sounds fine and it has some good production, I'm just not entirely wowed by anything here. Again, this has room to grow on me, so it's cool.

Our third of three debuts that deserves the purple treatment is Good Luck Babe by Chappell Roan, and just in time for pride month too. And wow, this is so great, especially compared to Kaleidoscope, and if you completely forgot about that, I don't blame you, because this is easily a marked improvement, and not only that, but it's also set to place really high on my 2024 best list at the moment. Now what about this makes it as great as it is? The beat on this is quite fun, Chappell Roan sounds infinitely better than she did on Kaleidoscope, and that hook is so fucking amazing. And yes, I've even gotten behind the slowdown and pitch drop at the end of the song, because how good the rest of the song is overshadowed that. I hope this becomes a huge hit here.

Our last debut is the actual single from Billie Eilish's new album Hit Me Hard And Soft, this is called Lunch. I'm not sure if it's just me or not, but this kind of gives off vibes of Bad Idea Right by Olivia Rodrigo, but in a more neutral way, definitely an improvement over What Was I Made For, though. I'm perfectly fine with this here.

Hitbound:
David Guetta/ OneRepublic- I Don't Wanna Wait
Twenty One Pilots- The Craving (Debut)
Lay Bankz- Tell Ur Girlfriend
Myles Smith- Stargazing (Debut)
Dua Lipa- These Walls
Teddy Swims- Hammer To The Heart
Saweetie- Nani (Debut)
Charlie Puth- Hero (Debut)
Tommy Richman- Million Dollar Baby
Alec Benjamin/ Khalid- Ways To Go
Forrest Frank/ Connor Price- Up
Knox- Change Your Mind
Charli XCX- 360
Henry Moodie- Drunk Text
Tyla/ Gunna/ Skillibeng- Jump
Stephen Sanchez- Baby Blue Bathing Suit

Yesterday, Twenty One Pilots dropped Clancy, and from it, we have The Craving. Unlike most Twenty One Pilots songs I've heard, I'm not entirely feeling this a whole lot. It's a solid song, though, it's just on the moderately forgettable side. But Tyler Joseph sounds solid again and it has an alright beat. So solid song.

So I previously heard a couple songs from Myles Smith through Daniel that you may have seen me recommend for Hits 1 (Behind and River). Now he makes his Hits 1 (and Hot 100) debut with Stargazing. I like this, but obviously not as much as I do Travis Scott's all too iconic song of the same title. This has some catchy production and Myles Smith sounds quite good. Such a great song, I hope it is on the countdown.

It's been a while since I've heard from Saweetie, but today, she's back with Nani. Ok this slaps pretty hard. I usually like Saweetie's flow, and she delivers here too. This also has a fun beat. I hope they make this a huge hit.

Our last debut comes from Charlie Puth, this is called Hero. This is pretty good. It's nice and chill in a good way, and Charlie Puth sounds quite good like he usually does. This also has some good lyrics. Solid Charlie Puth song.

We only lost Birds Of A Feather, which is in the abyss.

Blurbs:
Our exits were Backslide, Feather, Not The 1975, Been Like This, Made For Me, and Training Season. I don't think Backslide should have left the week Clancy dropped, but it's been lacking in airplay lately, so it's fine. Feather, Not The 1975, and Training Season all had great runs and will be missed. I'm a little bit surprised Been Like This left, but it was likely fading on me, so it's all good. Lastly, Made For Me should still be here.

Finally, II Most Wanted is doing something.

All right! I Had Some Help god a nice boost off its debut. Hopefully the upward momentum continues.

A Bar Song is also now in the top 20. Deserved.

Yeah, I've decided Slow It Down is quite good, hence why I moved it up a tier this week. Therefore, I'm happy about the 4 spot jump.

Quite surprised at the 17 spot jump for Make You Mine off its re-entry from last week

Why are we still trying to make I Can Do It With A Broken Heart a thing?

Why is End Of Beginning at #6?

Hahaha... Fortnight is still stranded at #5. Hopefully, this is its peak.

Illusion and Espresso are now in the top 5, I see these both hitting #1, as well as Obsessed. If they do, I hope they block Fortnight.

I guess that does it for me this week, see you guys next week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The streak has been snapped (Week of 1/27/2024)

Real Post (Week of 2/24/2023)

UC first Big 12 football game edition (Week of 9/23/2023)