My expectations were a bit too high (Week of 6/29/2024)

 
Hello everyone, welcome back to another countdown post. Quick announcement, I'm discontinuing the Electric Top 20 posts as I'm never exactly able to find time to work on them, but Hits 1 posts like this are still on. After last week, I had some high expectations for this week, but this didn't exactly meet them. Let's just begin, here are our exits:

Twenty One Pilots- The Craving (#29 last week)
Olivia Rodrigo- Obsessed (#16 last week)
Knox- Me Myself & Your Eyes (#22 last week)

Countdown:
30. Coldplay- Feels Like I'm Falling In Love (Debut)
29. Meghan Trainor- Whoops (-3)
28. Gracie Abrams- Close To You (Debut)
27. Tommy Richman- Million Dollar Baby (=)
26. Charli XCX- 360 (+2)
25. Marshmello/ Kane Brown- Miles On It (-5)
24. Camila Cabello/ Lil Nas X- He Knows (+1)
23. Billie Eilish- Birds Of A Feather (=)
22. Benson Boone- Beautiful Things (+2)
21. Sabrina Carpenter- Please Please Please (+9)
20. Gracie Abrams- Risk (-1)
19. David Guetta/ OneRepublic- I Don't Wanna Wait (-2)
18. Billie Eilish- Lunch (=)
17. Mark Ambor- Belong Together (Debut)
16. Ariana Grande- The Boy Is Mine (-1)
15. Teddy Swims- The Door (-1)
14. Madison Beer- Make You Mine (+7)
13. Benson Boone- Slow It Down (-5)
12. Chappell Roan- Good Luck Babe (=)
11. Shaboozey- A Bar Song (=)
10. Taylor Swift- I Can Do It With A Broken Heart (+3)
9. Dasha- Austin (=)
8. Djo- End Of Beginning (-2)
7. Olivia Rodrigo- So American (+3)
6. Taylor Swift/ Post Malone- Fortnight (+1)
5. Eminem- Houdini (=)
4. Post Malone/ Morgan Wallen- I Had Some Help (-2)
3. Dua Lipa- Illusion (=)
2. Hozier- Too Sweet (+2)
1. Sabrina Carpenter- Espresso (=)
Countdown Extra: Post Malone/ Blake Shelton- Pour Me A Drink
Last Year's #1: Taylor Swift/ Ice Spice- Karma
#1 Two Years Ago: Harry Styles- Ass It Was
My Favorite Song Last Year: Morgan Wallen- Last Night
My Favorite Song Two Years Ago: Post Malone/ Doja Cat- I Like You
Recommendations For Hits 1:
Fridayy- Baddest In The Room
Jamie Ray- Palm Trees
Asake/ Central Cee- Wave
Lil Nas X- Here We Go
Almost Monday- Tidal Wave

Our first debut is Coldplay's latest, Feels Like I'm Falling In Love (stylized without any spaces). I'm not exactly feeling this as much as I should be yet. It's got a good beat and Chris Martin sounds pretty good, not sure what it is that is preventing this from working. This could definitely grow on me though.

Next up, Close To You by Gracie Abrams makes its way out of the abyss. Better this than that goddamn Taylor Swift collab I talked about last week (which is still on Hitbound, fuck you Shits 1). Aside from that, this is essentially a synthpop remake of Risk, the melodies in the two songs sound almost identical. Again, it's still a fine song, it feels like something she's recently done, and that's my issue here. Again, a lot better than Us though.

Lastly, debuting all the way up at #17 this week, we have Belong Together by Mark Ambor. Again, this is really just there. Mark Ambor sounds fine and the beat is a bit groovy, I'm not sold on a few melodies here and don't exactly go with the beat that much. But overall, tolerable song.

Hitbound:
Raye- Genesis Part 2 (Re-entry)
Knox- Treadmill (Debut)
Isabel LaRosa- Favorite
Asse- Running Out Of Time (Debut)
Crash Adams- Hotel Party (Debut)
Bia/ JID- Lights Out
Upsahl- Summer So Hot
Lisa- Rockstar (Debut)
Gracie Abrams/ Taylor Swift- Us
Camila Cabello/ Drake- Hot Uptown (Debut)
Katseye- Debut (mentally checking the thesaurus to find a simile for debut)
Henry Moodie- Bad Emotions
The Kid Laroi- Girls (Debut)
Lawrence- Whatcha Want
Bibi/ Jackson Wang- Feeling Lucky
Imagine Dragons- Nice To Meet You

First up, Genesis Part 2 re-entered. Ok cool.

Hits 1 has picked up on every Knox song since Not The 1975, but since the songs I've heard from him thus far are pretty good, I don't have a problem with this. And his new song, Treadmill, is among the best I've heard from him aside from Not The 1975. It's got a solid beat and good lyrics to it and Knox once again sounds quite good here. Glad I heard this.

Welp, whether you wanted this to happen or not, Asse has returned after a 1.5 year hiatus with a new song called Running Out Of Time. And I'll say this: it's normal, unlike pretty much anything I've heard from her in 2022. It has a great beat and Asse actually sounds good but not exactly how she did on Moral Of The Story, Save Myself, or Till Forever Falls Apart. I still don't know how I feel about Asse's return though.

3 debuts in a row by artists Hits 1 has no idea how to stop picking up on, this one is Hotel Party by Crash Adams. Zestpond compared this to Kissing Strangers by DNCE and Nicki Minaj, and Mikey Piff compared this to a cross between LMFAO and Maroon 5, and yeah, I see both comparisons as being valid. This is easily my favorite Crash Adams song thus far. The beat on this is fucking legendary and whoever is singing here sounds quite good per usual and it has epic lyrics to the point where I could see this being an LMFAO song. This has to be a hit or else.

Up next, we have Lisa from Blackpink with Rockstar. I'm gonna be honest here, but Nickelback, Post Malone/ 21 Savage, and Dababy/ Roddy Ricch all had better songs with that title. However, that doesn't mean this song is bad. Lisa sounds pretty good and it is super fun, I definitely think it's better than Money from three years ago but not as good as SG with DJ Snake, Ozuna, and Megan Thee Stallion from the same time. so overall, solid song.

Camila Cabello dropped CXOXO yesterday, and it had not one, but two collabs with Drake, one of which, Hot Uptown, debuts this week. This is pretty fun, it reminds me of Drake's EDM album Honestly Nevermind from a couple years ago. They both sound pretty good here and I like the production here. Solid song.

Next up, we have international girl group Katseye making their Hits 1 debut, pun intended, because the song is literally called Debut. Interesting. Despite the strange title, this is a solid song. All of them sound great and it has good production. It's just a little bit forgettable though.

Our final debut is from The Kid Laroi, this is called Girls. This is among his better songs in recent years imo. It's pretty fun to listen to and he sounds quite good here, plus the song is in Bb major, which really helps. I hope this makes the countdown soon.

We lost Pour Me A Drink, I Am Not Okay, Hammer To The Heart, Tell Ur Girlfriend, Stargazing, Calling After Me (again), and Drunk Text. The first two are in the abyss, so hopefully, Pour Me A Drink debuts next week. Hammer To The Heart and Tell Ur Girlfriend lasted a bit too long and the latter was starting to get a bit annoying. Stargazing and Calling After Me should've debuted. And good fucking riddance to Drunk Text. 

Blurbs: 
Our exits were The Craving, Obsessed, and Me Myself & Your Eyes. The Craving was not good for Twenty One Pilots standards, Obsessed had a great run, and Me Myself & Your Eyes was great but Knox's new song in HB is better.

Why did Miles On It drop again?

Yeah, I've decided I don't like Please Please Please. The second verse being in a different key than the rest of the song combined with how huge this is getting is arguably one of the worst pairings ever. So why the fuck did it jump nine spots off its debut?

At least Make You Mine rebounded somewhat.

Ok why the fuck is I Can Do It With A Broken Heart at #10? It still has no fucking airplay, so it should be fucking gone by now.

Why did I Had Some Help fall back two spots? I hope this eventually hits #1, as I don't want Espresso being #1 for too long. I also want Houdini to be #1 soon too. 

I guess that does it for me this week, see you guys next week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The streak has been snapped (Week of 1/27/2024)

Real Post (Week of 2/24/2023)

UC first Big 12 football game edition (Week of 9/23/2023)