From the only one who didn't get the appeal to brat (Week of 8/31/2024)

 

Hello everyone, sorry this is late, I was busy doing band stuff yesterday. In fact, my next three posts might be out late as well since I have band stuff during said weekends. So this was a solid week, with some solid debuts and decent movement. Let's just get into it, here are our exits:

Sabrina Carpenter- Espresso (#9 last week)
Tommy Richman- Million Dollar Baby (#22 last week)
Meghan Trainor- Whoops (#25 last week)
Hayes Warner- Predator (#23 last week)
Gracie Abrams- Risk (#21 last week)

Countdown:
30. Coldplay/ Burna Boy/ Little Simz/ Elyanna/ Tini- We Pray (Debut)
29. Kesha- Joyride (Debut)
28. Benson Boone- Pretty Slowly (Debut)
27. Charli XCX/ Billie Eilish- Guess (=)
26. Shawn Mendes- Why Why Why (-2)
25. Megan Thee Stallion/ Yuki Chiba- Mamushi (+4)
24. MGK/ Jelly Roll- Lonely Road (+2)
23. Sabrina Carpenter- Taste (Debut)
22. Khalid- Heatstroke (+8)
21. Lady Gaga/ Bruno Mars- Die With A Smile (+7)
20. Charli XCX- Apple (=)
19. Alex Warren- Carry You Home (=)
18. Chappell Roan- Hot To Go (Debut)
17. Mark Ambor- Belong Together (-2)
16. Ariana Grande- The Boy Is Mine (+2)
15. Myles Smith- Stargazing (+2)
14. Madison Beer- Make You Mine (+2)
13. Benson Boone- Slow It Down (-2)
12. Charli XCX- 360 (+2)
11. Marshmello/ Kane Brown- Miles On It (-1)
10. Gracie Abrams- Close To You (+2)
9. Dasha- Austin (-1)
8. Taylor Swift- I Can Do It With A Broken Heart (+5)
7. Teddy Swims- The Door (-4)
6. Eminem- Houdini (=)
5. Billie Eilish- Birds Of A Feather (-2)
4. Chappell Roan- Good Luck Babe (=)
3. Shaboozey- A Bar Song (+2)
2. Sabrina Carpenter- Please Please Please (=)
1. Post Malone/ Morgan Wallen- I Had Some Help (=)
Countdown Extra: Beabadoobee- Beaches
Last Year's #1: Taylor Swift- Cruel Summer
#1 Two Years Ago: Harry Styles- Late Night Toppling
My Favorite Song Last Year: Fall Out Boy- We Didn't Start The Fire
My Favorite Song Two Years Ago: Elton John/ Britney Spears- Hold Me Closer
#1 Recommendation For Hits 1: Omi- Poker Face

Up first, we have a collaboration that somehow exists but works quite well. This is We Pray by Coldplay, Burna Boy, Little Simz, Elyanna, and Tini. Ok, this is pretty good. Everyone singing sounds pretty good and it has solid production. So this should not work, but it somehow does. Hopefully, it doesn't flop too hard.

Next up, Kesha is back on the countdown for the first time since Raising Hell with Big Freedia in 2019/ 2020, this is called Joyride. After a few weeks of this being in hitbound, I can safely say that this is quite good. The production is extremely fun and Kesha sounds great throughout. Super catchy song.

Up next, we have Benson Boone's latest, Pretty Slowly. This might be among his better songs. The vibe I get from the first part of this reminds me a lot of Stick Season by Noah Kahan from earlier this year, and that is a good thing. Then it shifts into more of a swing feel towards the end, kind of like what Sweater Weather by The Neighborhood and Just Can't Get Enough by the Black Eyed Peas do. To top that off, Benson Boone sounds amazing per usual. Great song.

Ok I was not asking for more Sabrina Carpenter on this damn countdown. But here we are. The latest single from Short N Sweet, Taste, is here, and it's just good, but better than both Espresso and especially Please Please Please. It has a solid beat and she sounds good. So so far so good, but if they overrate this, we'll have huge ass problems. Also, I hope the top 10 of the hot 100 next week is not just Short N Sweet tracks, although according to some predictions, that thankfully won't happen.

And saving the best for last, we have Hot To Go by Chappell Roan, an iconic track from this past summer and something we're doing as a stand short in band this year. So yeah, it goes without saying that this is great, definitely a lot better than Kaleidoscope but I'm not sure if it's as good as Good Luck Babe or not yet. It has a great beat and this is among her better vocal performances, all topped off with that fucking iconic AF hook. Yeah, I'm glad this is getting success here.

Hitbound (not including Sunday Bests)
Maren Morris- Push Me Over
Myles Smith- Wait For You (Debut)
All Time Low- Dear Maria Count Me In (ATL's Version)
Katseye- Touch (Debut)
Addison Rae- Diet Pepsi (Debut)
Koe Wetzel/ Jessie Murph- High Road
Tinashe- Nasty
Beabadoobee- Beaches
Jimin- Who
Halsey- Lonely Is The Muse
Henry Moodie- Right Person Wrong Time
Jessie Murph/ Teddy Swims- Dirty
Dasha- Didn't I
Katy Perry- Lifetimes
Andy Grammer/ Maddie & Tae- I Do

Up first, we have one of my recommendations from last week, Wait For You by Myles Smith. And yes, this is quite good. It basically sounds like Stargazing but in a different key. It has a great beat and Myles Smith sounds quite good here. I hope this has similar success to what Stargazing is currently having.

For our other two debuts, we have Katseye bringing their second song to HB, this is called Touch. TBH, this is better than Debut from earlier this year. The vibe of this is similar to Super Shy by New Jeans from last year. And this honestly wors, and everyone singing sounds pretty good. So a marked improvement over what they last had.

Lastly... does anyone remember Addison Rae from her song Obsessed from three years ago? I thought that song was alright, but, of course, Calvin Harris/ Charlie Puth/ Shenseea and Olivia Rodrigo later had better songs with that title. So today, she brings us Diet Pepsi, and this is a marked improvement over Obsessed. I like the mysterious beat this has, she sounds great, especially in her falsetto during the hook. And this is in Bb major, but it probably shouldn't have gone down a half step for the final hook. Oh well, I got over something similar in Good Luck Babe and that is now projected to be very high on my 2024 best list, so maybe I'll get over that too.

No dropouts this week, let's move on.

Blurbs:
Our exits were Espresso, Million Dollar Baby, Whoops, Predator, and Risk. Espresso was getting quite fucking annoying long ago, so good riddance. Million Dollar Baby flopped compared to how it did everywhere else. Whoops was starting to grow on me, so I'm a bit sad that's gone again. I guess the hype around Predator quickly faded. And Risk was just good, so I'm fine with that out.

Yeah, I've decided I like Mamushi now. It's so damn catchy and Yuki Chiba's part in the hook is pretty satisfying to hear. That said, I'm super happy this climbed four spots.

Heatstroke and Die With A Smile both got decent jumps off their debuts. Great to see.

How is Make You Mine still here?

Welp, I knew it was only a matter of time before I Can Do It With A Broken Heart was back in the top 10. Still completely undeserved, and this needs to go the fuck away sometime soon.

Still a bit surprised Birds Of A Feather is in the top 5, outpeaking its predecessor.

I Had Some Help continues to block Please Please Please. Let that continue.

I guess that does it for me this week, see you guys next week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The streak has been snapped (Week of 1/27/2024)

Real Post (Week of 2/24/2023)

And so I concluded the first week of my current semester... (Week of 1/13/2024)