I knew it would happen eventually... (Week of 9/14/2024)

 
Hello everyone. Well, a win for the UC football team today, but the countdown wasn't as good. We only had one exit, which just so happened to be our lone debut from last week, and our new #1 isn't good. That said, there was some solid movement and an insanely amazing HB debut. Let's get into it, here is the aforementioned exit:

Paul Russell/ Meghan Trainor- Slippin (#29 last week)

Countdown
30. Halsey- Ego (Debut)
29. Charli XCX/ Billie Eilish- Guess (-2)
28. Benson Boone- Pretty Slowly (-2)
27. Coldplay/ Burna Boy/ Little Simz/ Elyanna/ Tini- We Pray (+1)
26. Megan Thee Stallion/ Yuki Chiba- Mamushi (+4)
25. Shawn Mendes- Why Why Why (-3)
24. Kesha- Joyride (+1)
23. Khalid- Heatstroke (=)
22. Charli XCX- 360 (-11)
21. Alex Warren- Carry You Home (-1)
20. Ariana Grande- The Boy Is Mine (-3)
19. MGK/ Jelly Roll- Lonely Road (+5)
18. Lady Gaga/ Bruno Mars- Die With A Smile (=)
17. Madison Beer- Make You Mine (-4)
16. Myles Smith- Stargazing (-2)
15. Charli XCX- Apple (+4)
14. Benson Boone- Slow It Down (-2)
13. Sabrina Carpenter- Taste (+8)
12. Mark Ambor- Belong Together (+4)
11. Chappell Roan- Hot To Go (+4)
10. Marshmello/ Kane Brown- Miles On It (-3)
9. Gracie Abrams- Close To You (-1)
8. Dasha- Austin (+2)
7. Taylor Swift- I Can Do It With A Broken Heart (+2)
6. Teddy Swims- The Door (-1)
5. Chappell Roan- Good Luck Babe (-1)
4. Shaboozey- A Bar Song (-1)
3. Billie Eilish- Birds Of A Feather (+3)
2. Post Malone/ Morgan Wallen- I Had Some Help (-1)
1. Sabrina Carpenter- Please Please Please (+1)
Countdown Extra: Addison Rae- Diet Pepsi
Last Year's #1: Dua Lipa- Dance The Night
#1 Two Years Ago: Harry Styles- Late Night Toppling
My Favorite Song Last Year: Timbaland/ Nelly Furtado/ Justin Timberlake- Keep Going Up
My Favorite Song Two Years Ago: Nicki Minaj- Super Freaky Girl
Recommendations For Hits 1: Jordin Sparks- More Than Enough and Fat Joe/ Anitta/ DJ Khaled- Paradise

Our lone debut this week is Ego by Halsey. This is good. She sounds fine and it has a tolerable beat, but it's definitely a bit forgettable. Definitely better than The End though.

Hitbound
Teddy Swims- Bad Dreams (Debut)
Tate McRae- It's Ok I'm Ok (Debut)
Alex Warren- Troubled Waters
The Weeknd- Dancing In The Flames (Debut)
Katy Perry/ Doechii- I'm His He's Mine (Debut)
Henry Moodie- Right Person Wrong Time
Meghan Trainor- Criminals (Debut)
Camila Cabello- Godspeed
Natalie Jane- Somebody To Someone (Debut)
Mike Posner- Beautiful Day (Debut)
Knox- Invisible (Debut)
Tinashe- Nasty
Dasha- Bye Bye Bye (Debut)
Linkin Park- The Emptiness Machine (Debut)
Jimin- Who
Myles Smith- Wait For You

Oh god, I have to talk about 10 songs to talk about, but the last one is what is motivating me to do this after all of my band stuff. So first up is Bad Dreams by Teddy Swims. Nothing too special about this, just another solid song from him, it has a good beat and he sounds pretty good. Not complaining.

Up next, we have what will likely be Daniel's overall favorite song of 2024 (and I'm not exaggerating, he's literally only streamed this in the 48 hours since it came out), this is It's Ok I'm Ok by Tate McRae. I like this, although not as much as Daniel does. It's just another fun song from her and she sounds quite good. Glad to see this.

I feel like it's been a while since I last heard from The Weeknd, I think the last time I talked about him was Popular from last year. Well, he's back with Dancing In The Flames, and this is pretty good, it honestly reminds me of some of the Dawn FM singles, and I like it when he takes this approach, because it works quite well for him, such as with this song. So yeah, great song from him, hopefully it's on the countdown soon.

Next up, we have Katy Perry replacing herself with I'm His He's Mine with Doechii. And yeah... I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand, I like the beat here, reminds me of those of Blueberry Faygo by Lil Mosey or I Like You by Post Malone and Doja Cat. I'm not sure how I feel about the vocals though. They're trying to rap in a moderately strange way in the hook but thankfully sound more like themselves in the verses. So yeah, definitely better than Woman's World but nowhere near as good as Lifetimes.

Oh great, I get to talk about a random track from Meghan Trainor's latest album, this is called Criminals. This is good but quite forgettable. I think it has a solid beat and she sounds fine, it's nowhere as memorable as Booty, a track from the same album that features Paul Russell. Oh well, this might be gone next week, so I'm not too worried.

So we're halfway done with this list, and next is the only random newcomer, Natalie Jane and her song Somebody To Someone. And yeah, this is quite mediocre. It's super slow and her voice isn't entirely that great. So definitely not worth my time.

Next up, we have Mike Posner and his latest, Beautiful Day. I'm not exactly feeling this as much as I do other songs of his. I guess it's a bit slow but definitely better than the non remixed version of I Took A Pill In Ibiza. It evolves a decent bit and Mike Posner sounds great per usual. So, alright song.

Hits 1 still continues to pick up on most Knox songs since Not The 1975 (and I say most because they didn't pick up on Happy Hour with Hardy from earlier this year for whatever reason). So today, he brings us Invisible, and this is another great song from him. It's a lot more chill than what he normally does and the lyrics are quite sweet. So yeah, it's definitely no Happy Hour and Hits 1 probably should have picked up on that one too, but don't worry, it has clinched a spot on my 2024 best list so you will see my opinion on it at some point.

I've almost fucking had it with Dasha. Austin and Didn't I are fading on me a decent bit, and now, she straight up jacked the title from an Nsync song from 2000 for her song Bye Bye Bye. And yes, I obviously find Nsync's song of the same title leagues better even though it's becoming a thing on Tiktok after being used in the Deadpool vs Wolverine soundtrack. This is just another horny line dance song that has become quite cliche for her. That said, she still sounds fine and the line dance production is alright. I might need a break from Dasha after this though.

And saving the best for last... it seems as though third time is indeed going to be the charm for Linkin Park in terms of putting out comeback singles. So of course, last year they put out Lost and that never really took off as much as I was hoping. Then earlier this year, they put out Friendly Fire and that didn't do jack shit anywhere. So now, this new song, The Emptiness Machine, is not a previously unreleased song with the late great Chester Bennington's vocals, instead, they recorded this in 2024 with their new lead vocalist Emily Armstrong, who was announced as being part of the band last week, as well as the announcement of this song ad their new album From Zero, which comes out in two months. Now on to this new song, this is a goddamn banger and a half. The instrumentation here is fucking wild and Emily Armstrong sounds quite good here, especially when she's screaming. Yes, that's right, screaming. Mike Shinoda also sounds pretty good here. And yeah, if you hear me singing that iconic AF bridge, just don't say anything here. So yeah, easily the best debut this week, and if this doesn't debut the countdown, I'm going to have some fucken words to say.

We lost Someone In This Room, Touch, I Do, Lifteimes, Didn't I, Don't Lie, Beaches, High Road, and Diet Pepsi. Lifetimes and Don't Lie definitely should have debuted the countdown, and Diet Pepsi is likely in the abyss. The rest of them, I'm fine with going, and for those wondering why I moved I Do down a couple tiers, it got a bit hard for me to listen to due to emotional reasons.

Blurbs:
Our exit was Slippin. I'm not going to say anything since I'm pretty sure this might be back next week.

Glad to see Mamushi rebound slightly.

Hopefully, 360 is out of here next week after the fall it took this week.

Great seeing Lonely Road in the top 20.

If Taste could just stop jumping, that would be greatly appreciated.

Happy to see Hot To Go continuing to get success.

Looks like Birds Of A Feather is now tied with Therefore I Am as Billie Eilish's highest peaking song on here.

Welp, like I sort of feared, Please Please Please by Sabrina Carpenter is now #1 despite having only two spins a day. I'd complain further, but with the lack of spins that this is getting, I don't see this lasting a super long time at the top spot.

I guess that does it for me this week, see you guys next week.

Comments

  1. Yay I always wanted STS(IJWFIL) to be on hitbound and here it is after a bit too long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oldest and youngest artists to make it on the countdown this year:
    Oldest:
    Mariah Carey
    Eminem
    Justin Timberlake
    Usher
    Nicki Minaj
    Youngest:
    Tate McRae, Intak, Soul, Jongseob and Olivia Rodrigo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually d4vd is also one of the youngest artists to chart, as he is younger than Soul, Intak, Tate McRae and Olivia Rodrigo
      Also oldest charting artist right now: Eminem
      Youngest: (Yoonchae if we count abyss artists) (Natalie Jane if we count Hitbound artists) Benson Boone is actually the youngest artist charting right now

      Delete
    2. Oh I forgot Houdini isn't on there

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The streak has been snapped (Week of 1/27/2024)

Real Post (Week of 2/24/2023)

And so I concluded the first week of my current semester... (Week of 1/13/2024)