I've been looking forward to making this one (Week of 9/28/2024)

 

Hello everyone, I'm doing this before the most anticipated UC football game this year and the SNL Season 50 premiere. And yes, I have some pretty good songs to talk about, so let's just get into it, here are our exits:

Teddy Swims- The Door (#8 last week)
Madison Beer- Make You Mine (#19 last week)
Benson Boone- Slow It Down (#14 last week)
Shawn Mendes- Why Why Why (#20 last week)

Countdown:
30. Megan Thee Stallion/ Yuki Chiba- Mamushi (Re-entry)
29. Addison Rae- Diet Pepsi (=)
28. Kendrick Lamar- Not Like Us (Debut)
27. Meghan Trainor- Criminals (Debut)
26. Linkin Park- The Emptiness Machine (Debut)
25. Katseye- Touch (+2)
24. The Weeknd- Dancing In The Flames (+6)
23. Tate McRae- It's Ok I'm Ok (=)
22. Khalid- Heatstroke (+4)
21. MGK/ Jelly Roll- Lonely Road (+7)
20. Halsey- Ego (+5)
19. Coldplay/ Burna Boy/ Little Simz/ Elyanna/ Tini- We Pray (+5)
18. Charli XCX- Apple (-5)
17. Benson Boone- Pretty Slowly (+5)
16. Lady Gaga/ Bruno Mars- Die With A Smile (+1)
15. Alex Warren- Carry You Home (+1)
14. Gracie Abrams- Close To You (-5)
13. Mark Ambor- Belong Together (-3)
12. Charli XCX- 360 (+9)
11. Myles Smith- Stargazing (+1)
10. Sabrina Carpenter- Taste (+1)
9. Marshmello/ Kane Brown- Miles On It (+9)
8. Dasha- Austin (+7)
7. Chappell Roan- Hot To Go (=)
6. Taylor Swift- I Can Do It With A Broken Heart (=)
5. Billie Eilish- Birds Of A Feather (-1)
4. Shaboozey- A Bar Song (+1)
3. Sabrina Carpenter- Please Please Please (=)
2. Post Malone/ Morgan Wallen- I Had Some Help (=)
1. Chappell Roan- Good Luck Babe (=)
Countdown Extra: Dasha- Bye Bye Bye
Last Year's #1: Taylor Swift- Cruel Summer
#1 Two Years Ago: Charlie Puth/ Jungkook- Left And Right
My Favorite Song Last Year: Timbaland/ Nelly Furtado/ Justin Timberlake- Keep Going Up
My Favorite Song Two Years Ago: David Guetta/ Bebe Rexha- I'm Good
Recommendations For Hits 1:
The Weeknd/ Playboi Carti- Timeless
Kygo/ Imagine Dragons- Stars Will Align
Linkin Park- Heavy Is The Crown

First up, Mamushi by Megan Thee Stallion and Yuki Chiba re-entered. Happy to see it back, unlike... a few others.

Next up, Hits 1 is extremely late on adding Not Like Us by Kendrick Lamar, but at least it's here in the first place. So yeah, this is my second favorite diss track of all time, just behind Killshot by Eminem. The beat here is super cool and Kendrick Lamar's flow is honestly pretty funny when you pair it with the various insults he makes towards Drake in the verses. So yeah, they definitely should have added it a lot earlier, and I don't see it lasting super long, but at least it debuted at all. 

Our next debut is the latest single from Meghan Trainor's latest album Timeless, this is called Criminals. This is good but quite forgettable. I think it has a solid beat and she sounds fine, it's nowhere as memorable as Booty, a track from the same album that features Paul Russell. So I'm alright with this and could definitely grow on me.

And saving the best for last, we have the big return of Linkin Park after a seven year hiatus following Chester Bennington's death in 2017, and coming in at #26, we have their first single with new lead vocalist Emily Armstrong, this is called The Emptiness Machine. Easily my favorite song on here this week. This is a certified banger and a half. The instrumentation here is fucking wild and Emily Armstrong sounds quite good here, especially when she's screaming. Yes, that's right, screaming. Mike Shinoda also sounds pretty good here, honestly a little bit like MGK imo. So yeah. By far the best debut this week, and an easy top 5 contender for my 2024 best list. Let's just hope this lasts a decent bit.

Hitbound:
Myles Smith- Wait For You
Kylie Minogue- Lights Camera Action (Debut)
Knox- Invisible
Jon Bellion- Kid Again (Debut)
Camila Cabello- Godspeed
Morgan Wallen/ Ernest- Cowgirls (Debut)
Henry Moodie- Good Old Days (Debut)
Damiano David/ Labrinth- Silverlines (Debut)
Ava Max- Spot A Fake
Alex Warren- Catch My Breath (Debut)
Teddy Swims- Bad Dreams
Natalie Jane- Somebody To Someone
Balu Brigada- So Cold (Debut)
Nightly- Every Part (Debut)
Dasha- Bye Bye Bye
Alex Warren- Burning Down

Up first, we have Kylie Minogue's latest, Lights Camera Action. This is pretty good, though not as good as Midnight Ride with Orville Peck and Diplo from earlier this year. The beat here is fun and Kylie Minogue sounds good per usual. Fun song.

It's been a while since I last heard from Jon Bellion, I think the last song I heard of his was Good Things Fall Apart with Illenium in 2019 and his last Hits 1 appearance was Overwhelming in 2017, which dropped out of HB. Today, he's back with Kid Again, and I kinda dig this. The beat is super cool and Jon Bellion sounds pretty good throughout, even in what seems to be a falsetto. The song is also in Bb major, so always an added bonus. Glad he's doing solo work again.

Hits 1 is a bit late picking up on this next song, even though it is getting a bit of a resurgence in the present day. The song in question is Cowgirls by Morgan Wallen and Ernest, from Morgan Wallen's One Thing At A Time album, and this marks Ernest's Hits 1 debut. I still have yet to hate a Morgan Wallen song, and this is also quite good. I always love me a good country trap beat and this is no exception, and both Morgan Wallen and Ernest sound quite good and have solid chemistry together. I'm a bit surprised this is becoming a sleeper hit, but I'll gladly take it.

Hits 1 (and Daniel), please stop picking up on Henry Moodie. His music is not all that great, and while his new song Good Old Days is among his better songs, it's still only good. Yeah, the beat is fine, but Henry Moodie doesn't exactly sound all that good and the song is pretty forgettable as a whole. I may need a break from Henry Moodie after this.

(sighs) Well, Maneskin is currently on hiatus, and their lead vocalist, Damiano David, put out his debut solo single, Silverlines. This sucks ass. It is produced by Labrinth, whom he actually fucking credited on streaming platforms, and I can honestly fucking tell that the production was done by Labrinth, if he was even trying, which at this fucking point, I highly doubt. There is literally no goddamn beat here except for a few seconds after the hook. Sure, Damiano David sounds good, but it's not enough to save the song from any faults it has and he has honestly sounded better before. Fuck this song, I hope it flops hard. NEXT!

Unfortunately, it doesn't get a whole lot better, because next up, we have a song from Alex Warren's latest album called Catch My Breath. Yeah, I'm still worried Before You Leave Me and Carry You Home will be his only two good songs in the long run. This is alright, but on the slower side (thankfully more tolerable than Silverlines, might I add), even though he sounds fine. The lyrics are also pretty good, as they are about his wife. I don't know, I guess I can tolerate this in the long run.

Back to good music, we have New Zealand band Balu Brigada making their Hits 1 debut with So Cold. This is pretty cool. It has a fun beat and the lead singer sounds pretty good here. I'm glad they picked up on this.

Remember Nightly from their HB dropout Shirt from last year? Well, they're back with a new song called Every Part. This is good, but I prefer Shirt over this. It's the third slower song I have to talk about this week, but the most tolerable. The vocals are pretty good, and there is at least somewhat of a beat here. So I'm overall fine with this on here.

We lost I'm His He's Mine, Who, Nasty, SOS, Right Person Wrong Time, and Sweat. I'm His He's Mine is in the abyss and I'd prefer if it didn't debut. Who might also be in the abyss, and I hope it eventually debuts. Nasty deserved better. And the other three I'm fine with leaving.

Blurbs:
Our exits were The Door, Make You Mine, Slow It Down, and Why Why Why. The first three have been here for a really long ass time and were needing to go soon, and Why Why Why was mediocre at best, so I'm glad that didn't get a shit ton of longevity here.

Happy to see Dancing In The Flames jumping off its debut.

A bit of a relief that Lonely Road rebounded after its hard fall last week.

Glad to see We Pray in the top 20.

Why did 360 rebound back to #12? This is honestly starting to get a bit annoying imo.

Miles On It and Austin have rebounded back into the top 10. I'm fine with Miles On It rebounding, but Austin is getting so fucking annoying, it's not even funny. I hope this leaves soon.

And that's pretty much it. The entire top 7 held their spots from last week, except for Birds Of A Feather and A Bar Song switching spots.

I guess that does it for me this week, see you guys next week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The streak has been snapped (Week of 1/27/2024)

Real Post (Week of 2/24/2023)

And so I concluded the first week of my current semester... (Week of 1/13/2024)