What might be one of my favorite weekends ever (Week of 9/21/2024)


Hello everyone. The title of this post doesn't just reference how this countdown went, but also what happened in this weekend's UC football game, 34 point blowout win against Houston. And by the way, this is the last weekend until October 19th where the band is performing at a football game, so my next three posts will likely be out earlier than this and the previous three were out. And certain movements from this week's countdown motivated me to work on this now instead of later this evening. Let's just begin, here are the exits:

Kesha- Joyride (#24 last Week)
Megan Thee Stallion/ Yuki Chiba- Mamushi (#25 last week)
Ariana Grande- The Boy Is Mine (#19 last week)
Charli XCX/ Billie Eilish- Guess (#29 last week)

Countdown:
30. The Weeknd- Dancing In The Flames (Debut)
29. Addison Rae- Diet Pepsi (Debut)
28. MGK/ Jelly Roll- Lonely Road (-9)
27. Katseye- Touch (Debut)
26. Khalid- Heatstroke (-3)
25. Halsey- Ego (+5)
24. Coldplay/ Burna Boy/ Little Simz/ Elyanna/ Tini- We Pray (+3)
23. Tate McRae- It's Ok I'm Ok (Debut)
22. Benson Boone- Pretty Slowly (+6)
21. Charli XCX- 360 (+1)
20. Shawn Mendes- Why Why Why (+5)
19. Madison Beer- Make You Mine (-2)
18. Marshmello/ Kane Brown- Miles On It (-8)
17. Lady Gaga/ Bruno Mars- Die With A Smile (+1)
16. Alex Warren- Carry You Home (+5)
15. Dasha- Austin (-7)
14. Benson Boone- Slow It Down (=)
13. Charli XCX- Apple (+2)
12. Myles Smith- Stargazing (+4)
11. Sabrina Carpenter- Taste (+2)
10. Mark Ambor- Belong Together (+2)
9. Gracie Abrams- Close To You (=)
8. Teddy Swims- The Door (-2)
7. Chappell Roan- Hot To Go (+4)
6. Taylor Swift- I Can Do It With A Broken Heart (+1)
5. Shaboozey- A Bar Song (-1)
4. Billie Eilish- Birds Of A Feather (-1)
3. Sabrina Carpenter- Please Please Please (-2)
2. Post Malone/ Morgan Wallen- I Had Some Help (=)
1. Chappell Roan- Good Luck Babe (+4)
Countdown Extra: Katy Perry/ Doechii- I'm His He's Mine
Last Year's #1: Taylor Swift- Cruel Summer
#1 Two Years Ago: Charlie Puth/ Jungkook- Left And Right
My Favorite Song Last Year: Timbaland/ Nelly Furtado/ Justin Timberlake- Keep Going Up
My Favorite Song Two Years Ago: David Guetta/ Bebe Rexha- I'm Good
#1 Recommendation For Hits 1: Cate Tomlinson- Like The Boys

I feel like it's been a while since I last heard from The Weeknd, I think the last time I talked about him was Popular from last year. Well, he's back with Dancing In The Flames, and this is pretty good, it honestly reminds me of some of the Dawn FM singles, and I like it when he takes this approach, because it works quite well for him, such as with this song. So yeah, great song from him, hopefully it's on the countdown soon.

Our next debut I could get annoyed by relatively quickly, it's Diet Pepsi by Addison Rae. So this starts out quite good, honestly reminding me of I Hate U by Sza from three years ago, but then there's the key change at the end, where the key goes down a half step whereas the majority of key changes I've heard the key goes up a half step, whole step or three half steps. So yeah, that should be a great song, but a simple mistake dropped it a tier.

Next up, we have Katseye making their countdown debut with their song Touch. TBH, this is better than Debut from earlier this year. The vibe of this is similar to Super Shy by New Jeans from last year. And this honestly works, and everyone singing sounds pretty good. So a marked improvement over what they last had.

Our last debut is the latest from Tate McRae, this is called It's Ok I'm Ok. I like this, although not as much as Daniel does. It's just another fun song from her and she sounds quite good. I'm fine with this being here for now, but we'll see if that still stands later on.

Hitbound:
Dasha- Bye Bye Bye
Alex Warren- Burning Down (Debut)
Tinashe- Nasty
Ava Max- Spot A Fake (Debut)
Fifty Fifty- SOS (Debut)
Linkin Park- The Emptiness Machine
Katy Perry/ Doechii- I'm His He's Mine
Meghan Trainor- Criminals
Henry Moodie- Right Person Wrong Time
Haiden Henderson- Sweat (Debut)
Myles Smith- Wait For You
Jimin- Who
Knox- Invisible
Teddy Swims- Bad Dreams
Camila Cabello- Godspeed
Natalie Jane- Somebody To Someone

In one of the most confusing HBs due to no hosts and just skipping to the next song where Mikey Piff usually announces said songs, we still had four solid debuts. First up is Alex Warren and his latest, Burning Down. Between this and his song from a couple weeks ago, I don't think he'll ever make anything as good as Before You Leave Me or Carry You Home. This is my "least favorite" song from him. But it's still good. He sounds fine and the beat is good, it's just on the forgettable side. I'd still like to hear something similar to the first two songs of his I've heard though.

Next up, we have a new song from Ava Max called Spot A Fake. This is quite good .It's standard Ava Max music and she sounds pretty good here. Glad to see this on here.

So does anyone remember Fifty Fifty from Cupid and Barbie Dreams from last year? Well, with a new lineup due to legal disputes, they're back with SOS. And this is better than both of the songs I previously mentioned. This just makes more sense and everyone singing sounds pretty good. Hopefully, this doesn't get annoying like the other two songs of theirs that I heard did.

Lastly, Haiden Henderson brings his second song to Hits 1 after Hell Of A Good Time from earlier this year, this is called Sweat. This is solid. He sounds pretty good here and the beat is good, still just a bit forgettable. It's fine though.

We lost Troubled Waters and Beautiful Day. I'm fine with both of these leaving honestly.

Blurbs:
Our exits were Joyride, Mamushi, The Boy Is Mine, and Guess. Joyride and Mamushi probably should have lasted a bit longer. The Boy Is Mine started to fade on me a few weeks ago, so I'm fine with that leaving. And I'm surprised Guess lasted as long as it did given its low airplay throughout its run.

Nooooo why did Lonely Road drop 9 spots? This should still be climbing!

Although it's good to see We Pray and Pretty Slowly jumping.

Umm... why is Why Why Why in the top 20 now?

It's about time Austin started dropping.

Yes! Hot To Go is now in the top 10! That's great to see.

On the topic of Chappell Roan, Good Luck Babe has officially hit #1 this week. I'm glad Please Please Please didn't last a whole lot of time at #1 because there are much better songs like GLB that deserve the top spot instead. I'm super happy Good Luck Babe is at the top spot because it deserves it a decent bit. It's worth mentioning that this is now the fourth #1 song this year that has clinched a spot on my 2024 best list, the first three were Too Sweet, A Bar Song, and I Had Some Help. Let's see how long this will hold on to the top spot.

I guess that does it for me this week, see you guys next week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The streak has been snapped (Week of 1/27/2024)

Real Post (Week of 2/24/2023)

And so I concluded the first week of my current semester... (Week of 1/13/2024)